Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2019 21:14:36 +0100
From:      Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Cc:        jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enforce_statfs showing leading path

On 1/8/19, Michael W. Lucas <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with enforce_statfs for the jails book, and have hit
> an inconsistency. Not sure if the bug should go to src or doc. Running
> last week's -current.
>
> According to jail(8):
>
>  When set to 1, only mount points below the jail's chroot
>              directory are visible.  In addition to that, the path to the
>              jail's chroot directory is removed from the front of their
> path=E2=80=90
>              names.
>
> Seems pretty clear that I shouldn't see anything other than
>
> # jls -h name enforce_statfs
> ioc-www1 1
>
> So, as I read it, the jail's chroot directory should be stripped down
> to /. But inside the jail:
>
> root@www1:~ # mount
> iocage/iocage/jails/www1/root on / (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
> fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
>
> I see the jail's chroot directory.
>
> This seems to contradict the man page, unless I'm misunderstanding.
>
> Is this a software bug? A ZFS thing? A doc bug? Or am I just an idiot?
>
> Also, should this path be stripped when enforce_statfs is set to 1 *or
> above*? Or is this strictly when set to 1? If I'm filing a bug, it
> might as well be complete...

The "path" you are seeing is dataset name, which you made to resemble
the mount point.

Whether full dataset name should be exposed or not is a very different
question, does illumos do it?

Worst case it should be trivial to add a sysctl to just obfuscate the name.

--=20
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>