Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:00:09 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com 905-TX (was: Re: SCSI devices settling and illegal request)

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Yes.  And, in fact, 3com (and intel etherexpress pro) cards are
> generally a better choice than tulip based nics because they can do
> byte-aligned DMA,

This reminds me of an annoying problem I'm seeing here.

OpenBSD 2.9/i386 (fxp) ------> Switch ------> FreeBSD 5.0/alpha (xl)

100 Mbit/s full duplex all the way.

I'm seeing what must be significant package loss during bulk
transfers in this direction.  The reverse direction works fine.
My main application where the problem becomes apparent is that I
run Opera on the i386 box and use the alpha as X Display.  Opera
window updates slow to a crawl.  It also affects bulk transfers
through ftp/rcp/rsh.  Transfer rates collapse to a couple of kB/s.
Simple [rs]login text sessions don't suffer.  The problem exists
after a reboot of the alpha, but seems to eventually disappear.

This looks a whole lot like a full/half duplex problem, but both
hosts think that they're in full duplex mode and the switch agrees.

I also have an OpenBSD 2.8/i386 (fxp) box there.  It suffers the
same problem for bulk transfers to the alpha.  All other combinations
between hosts work fine.

FreeBSD-current from about May 14, PC164.
3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL.  The card is fairly old, so I
assume it isn't a -B, -C, etc model.

The problem could be newish, because I used to run backups from
other hosts to the alpha and that worked fine.