Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 16:01:56 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <rizal@mimos.my>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie Question (fwd)

On 27 May 98 at 13:41, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> This person wants to disable the Ctrl-Alt-Delete equivalence to
> reboot, and I looked in the handbook and the mail archives and
> I can't figure out how to do it.  We will both find your answer
> of interest--(all I found was Terry Lambert saying it didn't
> matter anyway because there's always the big red button).

I've seen that comment, too, and have to disagree with it.  Disabling
that function may not do much to prevent malicious reboots, but it
sure helps prevent accidental reboots.  We have a lot of NT machines
around here, and "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in" can be very
habit-forming...

Here's how to do it:

Run /stand/sysinstall, select option 3 ("Keymap"), and select
whatever keyboard mapping is appropriate for your locale.  For
example, if you want a standard US keyboard mapping, select the last
item on the list, "United States ISO keymap".

Once you've made your selection, exit sysinstall and:

  grep keymap /etc/rc.conf

You will see something like this:

  keymap="us.iso"   # keymap in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/* (or NO).

Now you need to edit the <keymap>.kbd file.  For our example, that
means /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/us.iso.kbd needs editing.  In that
file, replace every instance of the word "boot" with "nop".  (In the
us.iso file, "boot" appears three times.)

Once you've made that change, reboot and you're done.

Dave