Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:30:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Scott Worthington <SWorthington@hsag.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 Waiting for scsi to settle

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Scott Worthington wrote:
> It looks like this problem is greater that it appears.
>
> So far, I have seen other e-mails regarding the same issue:
> Adaptec 2940 scsi cards not working with FreeBSD
> 2.2.5, FreeBSD 2.2.6, or FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
> Adding to this problem is my findings:
> My new Adaptec AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.34.3 (1998) experiences the
> same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)
> My new Adaptec AHA-2940UA BIOS 1.32 (1997)  experiences the
> same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)
>
> BUT!
> My older Adaptec AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.25 (1996) DOES NOT
> experience the dreaded 'waiting for scsi to settle'
>
> Hmmm, this leads me to believe that there has been a BIOS change
> to these cards that is not compatible with the current 294x drivers
> in FreeBSD 2.2.5 2.2.6 2.2.7.

<CHOP>

> Does anyone have some light to shine on this issue?

<CHOP>

Hello BSDaemons!

  I experienced the same trouble with Adaptec 2940UW (Ultra-wide).
My older BIOS 1.25 card worked fine (with FreeBSD and OS/2)
Newer BIOS 1.3- had trouble with FreeBSD, possibly also OS/2.

  My action was to contact Adaptec tech support.
The change between 1.25 and 1.3-- was mostly to allow a system to
boot from a SCSI drive even when an IDE drive exists.
(It was called "BBS Support", as I recall, but that "BBS"
has nothing to do with "Bulletin Board System").

  My remedy was to download the 1.25 BIOS code from Adaptec and
flash my newer cards to 'downgrade' them to 1.25. Both FreeBSD
and OS/2 work fine on them now. If you have this same trouble it
is probably best to contact Adaptec direct regarding it (so that
they are aware of it and perhaps fix it). As an alternative, I
am sure that I have the 1.25 BIOS code in my office, and could
make it available to other BSDaemons.

  It is disconcerting to buy a new card and then to 'downgrade' it,
but I am not using IDE drives, so I have no need for "BBS support".

  I recall a saying in an old film regarding the demise of fumeless
electric street cars in Los Angeles:
  "Progress doesn't always mean that things get better"

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat