Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:10:44 +1000
From:      "Bruce Piper" <bruce@kit.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network problem...

Hi there
I'm using a FreeBSD box (version 2.2.8-RELEASE (GENERIC)) as a router from
our office (win98 workstations) to an ISP dedicated modem.
The FreeBSD box and all the workstations have their own IP addresses. The
FreeBSD box has an internal modem (com 3) which is connected using user-ppp
(ppp -auto demand) to the ISP modem, and allows everyone in the office to
surf etc. It's setup so it doesn't time out.
I'm also in the process of setting it up as a web server, mail server etc.
However, I'm finding that every now and then (?a couple of times a day) it
stops
communicating. The debugging I've done so far is as follows:
I've got a pppctl server running, so by doing set log local async I can
verify that I am definitely sending stuff out the link.
I can ping the IP address of my tun0 device successfully.
I can't ping the IP address at the other end of the link.
If I run a traceroute I get nothing.
If I run ifconfig tun0 it's up, pointtopoint, running, multicast.
If I run ifconfig ed0 it's up, broadcast, running, simplex, multicast
If I run netstat -rn I get the routing table which looks OK (I guess?) - it
at least does have a default route.

Some other clues - it seems to happen, for example, when I have internet
explorer running on one workstation, downloading a page and at the same time
I check email on another workstation from a remote POP server.
To get it running again I either restart the FreeBSD box or in pppctl do a
'down' then a 'dial'. This gets things running again.

Any ideas on what further debugging I can do would be great.
With many thanks
Bruce Piper