Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2024 08:55:59 -0700
From:      Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: poudriere(8) short circuits my ability to build packages

On 2024-04-04 00:41, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Thu 04 Apr 00:30, Chris wrote:
>> I do all of my development in jails. As such I have no use for
>> poudriere(8).
>
> I stopped reading here, because it clearly shows you haven't understand at
> all
> what value poudriere(8) is bringing,
It appears you've taken this personally. You've put alot into it -- since
releng/9, as memory serves. I can respect that.

> hint using jail is not it, poudriere
> leverages jails, but we could do without jail while providing the same
> value.
Not if it imposes itself. Not if it limits a users/maintainers choice(s).
I've been using jail(8) long before the advent of pkg(8). I can spin up a
complete
jail in ~10 seconds by only answering 2 questions -- name of jail && release.
whipped up a script long ago to facilitate this. That's (or was) the beauty
of
BSD -- the myriad of options it provided by composing 100's of commands that
acted
as building blocks that facilitated options limited by only ones imagination.
Something that the Linux world could not compete with. My gripe here, is that
it
*appears* to me that pkg(8) is hoping to limit those options -- who doesn't
like
choices? It makes the OS overall, more appealing to a greater number of
people.
Because the OS can be as diverse as the worlds population.

If I've misunderstood the message reported to me by pkg(8) in my attempt to
create
a package, and it *doesn't* prevent me from creating a package in my chosen
environment.
Please accept my apology for being ignorant. But in my humble defense; the
message
seems to indicate I have no other choice(s).

--
--Chris Hutchinson