Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:53:39 -0600
From:      support@solvnet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.8 on i386

Hello,
Are there issues with trying to install 4.8 on i386 machines? I've tried
upgrading from 4.2 on ISO cd to using the FTP site directly, even tried
a clean install from the ISO but the istall continues to fall apart while
retrieving anything with the Xserver and the binary itself. I just, this
AM, used the FTP direct upgrade (thinking my ISO burn was faulty),
skipped through the Xserve stuff that failed and allegedly did a
successful upgrade. On reboot I get:

booting(kernel)...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
no bootable kernel
ok

I have a Mylex 760 raid card, is this the impediment? The 4.2 is
successful without a hitch. I have an AMI 3.0 bios, a Super p6dgs/dbs
motherboard. I've downloaded the ISO from different FTP sites and
still get the same result from ISO install attempts. Any words for the
unwise here?

thanks,

Dan

support@solvnet.net