Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:00:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Strick <mla_strick@att.net>
To:        mckusick@mckusick.com
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org, mla@mist.nodomain
Subject:   Re: kern/141992: fsck cannot repair file system in which it finds an error

> From mckusick@mckusick.com Wed Dec 30 09:45:41 2009
> To: Dan Strick <mla_strick@att.net>
> Subject: Re: kern/141992: fsck cannot repair file system in ...
> Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:31:07 -0800
>
> Thanks.The thing that immediately jumps out at me is that the filesystem
> is UFS1 format (which would make it 4.X vintage unless you specifically
> requested UFS1 when you built it). The new code to fix cylinder groups
> in fsck can only fix UFS2 filesystems. So the problem is that it is
> unhappy with cylinder group 48, then tries to fix it and finds that
> it cannot do anything. At a minimum it should just not do its check
> for bad cylinder groups in UFS1 filesystems.

The file system was probably created by FreeBSD 4.10, the first version
of FreeBSD that would run on my machine.

Perhaps when the new fsck finds a bad UFS1 cylinder group and cannot
fix it, the new fsck should simply explain its limitation and recommend
copying the UFS1 file system contents to a new UFS2 file system.

> Is there a chance that I can either (1) get a copy of the mdconfig
> disk image so I can work out a solution here, or (2) get a login
> on your machine so I can poke at things there.
>
> 	Kirk McKusick

I have prepared a new file system by deleting all files in the old file
system, creating a huge file containing only zeros, and deleting the
huge file.  The new file system gzips nicely and still has the bad
cylinder group.  The new file system is about 16 MB compressed (almost
9 GB uncompressed).  How should I send it to you?

Dan Strick