Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:34:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Dan Mayne <DMayne@cortelcosystems.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Custom Install

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dan Mayne wrote:
> I tried to do a custom install where I installed everything but the OS
> source.
> The install was done on with all the default partitioning selected.
> FreeBSD was the only OS on the disk.
>
> Everything looked good until the end, but when I rebooted, I found that
> there was no kernel written to the disk.
>
> I tried this 3 mroe times (selecting different components each time) with
> the same results.
>
> If I install using one of the predefined install sets (User, Developer,
> X-Developer, etc.) the install works fine and the kernel gets written to the
> disk.
>
> Is this a problem, am I doing something wrong, or is the Custom install
> option only for adding components to an existing installation?

You're doing something wrong. :)  What that something is I have no idea.
I always use Custom and haven't had any install problems.

If you just want to get going, Kernel Developer followed by a post install
X installation would be close to what *I* do with Custom installs.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com