Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:21:26 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
Cc:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using Ant (continued)

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 01:04pm, Dave Glowacki wrote:

> Nope.  Sharable libraries should go under share/, and since Jar
> files are almost always sharable, they should follow this convention.

I guess I don't understand this logic.

I think you're taking the word "share" beyond it's original scope of what
people meant by "architecture-independent".

JARs and classes are _libraries_, hence go under /lib.  The same with Perl
modules and Python.   True-they may be architecture-independent, but /share
is not meant for application libraries, it's used for man pages, info pages,
config files, templates, dictionaries, timezone stuff, et al.

Libraries belong in /lib.  Perl and Python and PHP libraries, which are also
architecture-neutral, are also done under lib, in their respective
directories;   I see no reason why we should change this behavior to confuse
the situation with Java.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]