Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:14:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      project10 <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Jails and IRCDs

Hey all,

Has anyone experienced issues with running IRCDs within FreeBSD jails,
specifically hostnames not resolving? After users connect, the ircd
attempts to do a reverse lookup on the IP, which fails. I've tracked it
down to the point where I believe it is either a bug or a limitation of
the jail system, but would like a second opinion.

resolv.conf on the host system and the jail are setup properly, 'nslookup'
works fine. I've tested many different IRCds in different jails on
different hosts. The jails were setup according to the jail man page. I
also tried setting up a DNS server within the jail, and specifying it as a
nameserver in resolv.conf, and that didn't allow hostnames to be resolved.
Additionally, running ircd outside of the jail, on the host system,
everything worked fine. I did some tcpdumps from the host system and it
doesn't appear that the packets are being sent to the DNS server. It is
noteworthy that the hostname resolve attempts 'time out' as opposed to
fail almost immediately.

Any help or assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I
am, quite frankly, out of ideas.

-Shawn