Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:32:41 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device naming convention

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:49:59AM +0200, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> [redirected]
>
> > Questions:
> > 1. What are wd0[a-h] used for?
>
> These are interfaces to the partitions of the first FreeBSD slice.

These are the legacy devices that were used until 3.x. Now, IDE drives
are called,

  /dev/ad*

For the generic ATA/ATAPI driver.

> > 2. If wd0s1 is my first slice, why isn't it named wd0s0?
>
> Slice 0 is used for some special purpose. I cannot recall exactly which
> right now, but ISTR it was either (1) a reference to the first FreeBSD
> slice, regardless of which slot it is in, or (2) a reference to a
> dedicated disk.

There is no slice 0. Slices are purely for compatibility with MS-DOS
partitions, and MS-DOS partitions are numbered 1 to 4. No reason to
obfuscate things to renumber 0-3. (Don't ask me why sometimes it does
seem like things are renumbered for no reason.)

> > 3. If I format wd0s2 as any type (Xenix for example),
> >    will /dev now contain wd0s2[a-h]?
>
> No. You need to use the MAKEDEV script.
>
> > 4. If I want to use /dev/wd0s2 as a raw slice for reading
> >    and writing, what are the steps to follow?
>
> Use it as you would any file.

s/file/block device/

> > 4a. Do I need to format the partition as any type? If so
> >     is there a recommended type (perhaps one which won't
> >     be recognised by the bootloader would be preferable)?
>
> A number of references to slice types can be found on the net.

But was the original question about a slice or partition?

> > 4b. Should I then be using /dev/rwd0s2 or /dev/rwd0s2a
> >     for reading and writing (of course, this is assuming
> >     block i/o of multiples of 512 bytes)?
>
> /dev/rwd0s2

Actually, note that,

  [219:~] ls -l /dev/wd0s2{,c}
  brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00030002 Aug 31  1999 /dev/wd0s2
  brw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 0x00030002 Aug 31  1999 /dev/wd0s2c

And also remeber these are legacy devices. The current release of
FreeBSD, the 4-branch, uses the ad(4) device and there are no block
devices,

  [221:~] ls -l /dev/{,r}ad1s1{,c}
  crw-r-----  2 root  operator  116, 0x0002000a Aug  6 22:05 /dev/ad1s1
  crw-r-----  2 root  operator  116, 0x0002000a Aug  6 22:05 /dev/ad1s1c