Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:31:46 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        mike@seidata.com, "N. N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again logging!

At 11:26 AM 10/14/98 -0400, mike@seidata.com wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, N. N.M wrote:
>
>> 1- I installed TCP Wrapper in the way that I moved the real daemons to
>> another directory and copied "tcpd" instead of real daemons. I don't
>> know how I can get it's logs. I add a line to log the messages from
>> "tcpd" to a file. But it didn't work.
>
>Default install dumps to /var/log/messages for me - what do you mean
>by 'get it's logs'?

Yes, but the facility is LOG_AUTH if you use the port.  The original source
uses LOG_MAIL for some odd reason.  Either way it should be logged in
messages with the original install's syslog.conf, which lumps it in with
other daemons.

Personally I change patch-aa to use LOG_LOCAL7 and in syslog.conf I direct
local7.* to /var/log/tcpd, which IMO should have a logfile to itself.  Then
again I like to break things down more than the original syslog.conf does,
which makes it easier to sift out the chaff.

If you are not familiar with the diff's, it would be better to 'make
patch', edit the Makefile, then 'make' and 'make install' (or just 'make
install').

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net