Date:      Sat, 23 Apr 2016 09:27:02 +0300
From:      Dan Partelly <dan_partelly@rdsor.ro>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

>>=20
> *THAT* is the tone I was complaining about. This is not at all =
respectful.
>=20

Respect is a two way street. If you want respect, offer yours.  We make =
our point  very  poorly, I get you, but it is the result of  what you =
and others from the projectdo. Meaning, 0 communication. I dont know if =
that  means 0 communications skills,or you do not communicate on =
purpose. You as a member  of the core team, should be one of the first =
to address this problem.=20

After all you the core invested time in code of conducts and other =
things of  questionable value, but at the same time you always avoid to =
clearly communicate  with your user base.

> 've met personally with Glen, in person. I had a wonderful chat with =
him.

Maybe you did. We did not. Serious mechanism issues regarding pkg went  =
unanswered on the other list. Look on pkg list, very rational, polite, =
and to  the subject, 100% rational message about pkg base which is not =
responded. So, you complain about tone, and how helpful  would  be for =
ppl to change it. Let me give you a suggestion: start with altering your =
own behaviour. Offer  respect, be communicative, less sensible on =
internet where it is very hard to convey =E2=80=9Ctone=E2=80=9D. You'll =
see that it works wonders to indirectly alter the  behaviour of the =
people you so eloquently compared to peasants daring to disturb the lord =
of the castle.

You says that everything will be OK. I want to  believe you. But giving =
the track record  VIMAGE has, and how many gugs go on and on with years  =
Im not so sure that you guys wont do the same with this subsystem,  and =
leave it with rough edges for half a decade.  Because we all know that =
everything will be OK in the end. Timeframe is also important.

>=20
>=20
>> And I really think THAT is the crux of the argument everyone is =
trying to
>> make.
>>=20
>> To reiterate: packages are good.  In moderation.  As with all other
>> things.  But they have to solve the general case, and pkg - both the =
tool
>> and the methodology in its current and pending incarnations - does =
not.
>>=20
>> I, and others, are trying to have a real conversation about this.  =
But the
>> blowback is incredible.  Let alone incredulous.
>=20
>=20
> That is understood. Being toxic about it isn't going to help. Being
> disrespectful is not going to help. Being hyperbolic isn't going to =
help.
> It isn't a real conversation until that stuff is gone. So far I've =
seen no
> evidence of it being gone.
>=20
> I've met personally with Glen, in person. I had a wonderful chat with =
him.
> Based on talking to him, it was clear many of the complaints here were
> overblown. Are there rough edges? Yes. Are there things we don't know? =
Yes.