Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:00:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Andrey Chapurin <chapurin@mail.convey.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Brian Handy <handy@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD for i286

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Andrey Chapurin wrote:
> Which version of FreeBSD can be run on :
> 286-12MHz, 1MbRAM, 40Mb HDD, MonoEGA

Hehe - this is my home machine!  Well, I have 16 color EGA!  Anyway, no
version of FreeBSD will run on a 286.  I got a bug to get DOS off the home
machine and found Minix.  I never really could get it to work right (I
always had to boot from a floppy and once Minix was installed I never
could get the DOS partition to boot again).  Minix was ... entertaining.
There was a great program that comes with it called animals.  It was
essentially a game where the computer tries to guess an animal you are
thinking about and if it doesn't get it, you give it some characteristic
to store in a database.  Here's roughly how it works:

Minix> Is it a penguin?
Me> no
Minix> Give me a characteristic
Me>(thinking this is getting stupid already) exit
Minix> Is it an exit?
Me> quit
Minix> Is it a quit?
Me> ^C
Minix> Is it a ^C?
Me> aaarrrrrrgh

Eventually I think I rebooted - I never did figure out how to get out of
animals.  It was nice when you'd play later it would again say "Is it an
exit?"  :-)

Apparently there is some pseudo-X driver out there for Minix and, get
this, a children's interface but after finding both of these once I never
found them again.

I'm back to DOS at home.  At least kermit works! :-)

Brett (who's answering ON his 286 from home!)

Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

If only I could do a benchmark w/ the rc5 client on my 286!