Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:47:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Maurice <mauduro@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install of xfce4 from ports collection on FreeBSD 6.1 failed - Maurice

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Maurice wrote:

> When installing xfce4 on a fairly clean install of FreeBSD 6.1, it errored
> out with the following:
>

> checking pkg-config files for X11 are available... yes
> checking for LIBDRM... configure: error: Package requirements (libdrm >=
> 2.4.3) were not met:
>
> Requested 'libdrm >= 2.4.3' but version of libdrm is 2.0

There's the problem.  That's /usr/ports/graphics/libdrm, and it needs to
be updated.  Additionally, I'm not sure how well the current version
works on 6.1, which is nearly four years old.

If you're starting fresh, it'll be easier to just install FreeBSD 8,
update the ports tree, and install xfce4 from there.

(Yes, FreeBSD 8 is prerelease at the moment.  For desktop use with
xfce4, I'd still pick it over 7.2-RELEASE.)

If you really want to stick with 6.1, then... it's going to be a lot of
work.  You have some very old ports on there, and the interdependencies
can be tricky.  It may be easiest to just deinstall all the ports
([warning!] pkg_delete -a), update the ports tree with csup or portsnap,
and start installing the new versions.