Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:03:04 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3.1 Release versus HP Omnibook 900

Hi All-

In light of the CTX saga, I thought that I'd share my experience
battling an HP Omnibook 900.  I have highlighted the problem areas
and or areas of interest.

1) A net installation just does not work.  I had to wait until the
   optional (grrr) cdrom drive arrived.

   Pccard controller = TI PCI 1225
   zp0 fails miserably  (even if I set IRQ to 11 ... what Win95
   attaches 3C589D on)

   I was unable to get pccardc to work with the install (tried to
   use a customize 3.1-Stable kernel and pcic and mfsroot to no
   avail ... addes pcic and ls and ps to mfsroot :)

2) Set machdep.pccard.pcic_irq=10 (Win95 has it on 10) does nothing.
   it will _always_ use 3 :(  Doesn't matter whether it is loading
   the pcic.ko or using compiled in.  Although, if you let it double
   load the pcic, the kld comes in at irq 9.  Of course, attempting
   to unload it panics the machine:

   As we know, rc.pccard is bogus:

   I added a Q&D test

   builtin=`kldstat -v -n 1 | grep pcic | awk '{print $2}'`
   if [ $builtin = 'pcic' ]
   then
      echo "builtin"
   else
      kldload pcic.ko
   fi

   dmesg:
   PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows )
   pcic: controller irq 3

3) APM:

   Using flags 0x31 (though doesn't make any difference),  typing
   apm will panic the machine instantly!

   Although, the manual stand-by and suspend to disk work just fine.
   As does bios initated events, but apm or zzz will crash the box.
   (I imagine that xbatt will too).

4) Sound card:

   device pcm0 at isa? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

   dmesg:
   ... try to indentify the yamaha
   pcm0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xa210 on isa
   mss_attach <mss>0 at 0x530 irq 5 dam 1:0 flags 0xa210

   yields decent volume (much better than flags 0x0).

5) Video:   256-bit NeoMagic MagicGraph NM2200 (NMG5)

   XFree86 SVGA seems to do an OK job (haven't tested this
   too much)

6) Booteasy:

   (Caveat ... I may have screwed something up here) Just
   locks the machine up solid.  I hangs at the F1, F2 ...
   menu and beeps ... sigh ( I used fdisk /mbr to set FreeBSD
   as active ... no problem reinstalling).