Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:47:57 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        Woodchuck <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Change Unix boxes

> > if the box you are planning to move things to does
> > not have the appropriate groups, then the groups
> > can't be created when you extract the archive.
>
> Untrue.
>
> Groups are /numbers/ (gids) not names.  /etc/group just translates those
> numbers to names. The tar archive stores the gids
>
> Try it:
>
> # touch foo
> # chown 1234.4321 foo
>
> Or other uid/gids that don't exist on the system. then tar it. rm it.
> then extract it. do a ls -l
>
> Then make group 4321 in /etc/group, do the ls -l again.

right, i should have said "group names" instead of "groups".
nevertheless, it is something to watch out for.
i ran into this with ppp before "network" was
in the default /etc/groups file, and wondered
where my "network" was in my ls -l listings.
same with cgi-bin, etc - though it didn't stop
things from working.