Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:18:20 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        "Tony Saign" <tony@saign.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Mobile'" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X4.2 Broken on 4.6RC??

"Tony Saign" wrote:
> I've tried on 2 different laptops to install X4.2 (From sysinstall or
> ports) without success.
> Is anyone else having this issue?

Not tried on my laptops yet, but note:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.6R/qa.html
	XFree86 4.2.0. sysinstall now installs XFree86 4.2.0 instead
	of XFree86 3.3.6; the XFree86 installation now uses ``normal''
	binary packages instead of the special tarballs in past
	releases. The ports infrastructure now uses the XFree86
	version 4 as the default version for satisfying dependencies.

Not clear if yours is an install or config problem, but if config,
maybe your laptop display chip might not be recognised by the new X ?
Perhaps try /usr/X11R6/bin/ XF86Setup & SuperProbe ?

We mobile owners will need to be more cautious than tower owners
going from 4.5 to 4.6, as we won't have their possibility to swap
out graphic cards with no longer supported chips.  I'm going to
tread carefully with mine when the time comes, & perhaps need to
delete 4.2 & install an old 3.3.6 if necessary.

Julian Stacey		Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
jhs@bim.bsn.com		http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
	Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !