Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:31:39 -0800
From:      Alf Watt <alfwatt@linkexchange.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Shared Memory Question

I've got some perl code that uses shared memory up and running,
the problem is that I can't have more than 10 segments, ever.

Here's an example sequence:

% perl test
915133603-512
915133613-512
could not share: LE::Object=HASH(0x152db0), No space left on device at
/usr/le/lib/LE/Object.pm line 264.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

"could not share:..." is my error from a die() call, 'No space
left on device' is the given system error. And the seg fault, well,
that's defiantly not *my* fault ;-). Thinking that I needed more
shared memory I promptly rebuild my kernel with the following
parameters:

# This provides support for System V shared memory.
#
options  SYSVSHM        # enable for memory
options  SYSVSEM        # enable for semaphores
options  SYSVMSG        # enable for messaging
options  SHMMAXPGS=8192 # 32MB of sharable memory
options  SHMMNI=4096    # more shared memory identifiers
options  SHMSEG=1024    # shared memory segs/process

Which seems to work pretty well:

% ipcs -M
shminfo:
        shmmax: 33554432        (max shared memory segment size)
        shmmin:       1 (min shared memory segment size)
        shmmni:    4096 (max number of shared memory identifiers)
        shmseg:    1024 (max shared memory segments per process)
        shmall:    8192 (max amount of shared memory in pages)

Does anyone out there know which device is running out of space,
and how I give it more?

Many thanks,

Alf Watt