Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:25:35 -0500
From:      "John R. Martz" <JRMartz@ibm.net>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tn5250 !

------------116F59AD11EE0

Joe McGuckin wrote:

> Does anyone know how a tn5250 session differs from a regular telnet
> session? I'm trying to persuade a tn5250 emulator to work with the
> fwtk telnet proxy.

Joe, I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to do. The tn5250 protocol
is most usually used to talk to an AS/400. It's an adaptation of the
5250 protocol used to connect display stations (i.e. intellectually
challenged terminals) to AS/400 via twinax.

Are you trying to connect to another PC that has a 5250 emulator in it
via twinax? (Hope not ... don't think this would be easy).

If you're trying to connect to AS/400 just start TCP/IP and the telnet
server on the 400 and connect that way. AS/400 telnet prefers to use
tn5250, but it'll also talk tn3270 and then VT220 and VT100.

> Is there source to a tn5250 program available somewhere?

I don't know of any tn5250 source code that's available to the public.
If you want more info on tn5250 there is an RFC for it:
http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1205.txt

You might also get more information at the News/400 magazine web site:
http://www.news400.com. In particular they have a white paper posted at
their site with the title "The Evolution of TELNET 5250 (TN5250)",
http://www.news400.com/education/WhitePapers/Telnet/Index.html

It sounds interesting and I keep meaning to actually read it some day
... :-)

Other AS/400 web sites are: http://www.as400.ibm.com and
http://www.midrangecomputing.com/

Hope this helps, -john martz

------------116F59AD11EE0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Joe McGuckin wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Does anyone know how a tn5250 session differs from a regular telnet<BR>
&gt; session? I'm trying to persuade a tn5250 emulator to work with the<BR>
&gt; fwtk telnet proxy.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Joe, I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to do. The tn5250 protocol
is most usually used to talk to an AS/400. It's an adaptation of the 5250
protocol used to connect display stations (i.e. intellectually challenged
terminals) to AS/400 via twinax.&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Are you trying to connect to another PC that has a 5250 emulator in
it via twinax? (Hope not ... don't think this would be easy).&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>If you're trying to connect to AS/400 just start TCP/IP and the telnet
server on the 400 and connect that way. AS/400 telnet prefers to use tn5250,
but it'll also talk tn3270 and then VT220 and VT100.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&gt; Is there source to a tn5250 program available somewhere?<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>I don't know of any tn5250 source code that's available to the public.
If you want more info on tn5250 there is an RFC for it:&nbsp; http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1205.txt</DT>;

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>You might also get more information at the News/400 magazine web site:&nbsp;
http://www.news400.com. In particular they have a white paper posted at
their site with the title &quot;The Evolution of TELNET 5250 (TN5250)&quot;,&nbsp;
http://www.news400.com/education/WhitePapers/Telnet/Index.html</DT>;

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>It sounds interesting and I keep meaning to actually read it some day

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Other AS/400 web sites are: http://www.as400.ibm.com and http://www.midrangecomputing.com/</DT>;

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Hope this helps, -john martz</DT>