Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:28:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kieran <kieran@esperi.demon.co.uk>
To:        "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, K. Marsh wrote:

> The point I was trying to make was that you can't sell your software for
> profit, UNLESS you distribute the source code too (thereby giving away
> the secrets of your program.)  This is right, isn't it Christ?  FreeBSD's
> license doesn't require you to give away your source.

Wrong. The GPL doesn't allow you to distribute someone else's code in
binary form. If you are dealing with your own code, obviously you can
re-licence it.

It represents a different world-view. The BSD networking code which
_many_ different unices borrowed/used would not have been used had they
been distributed under the GPL. So both licences have real advantages
depending on the views of the person writing it.

Please, if you think this is a balanced account, don't respond! (Feel
free to flame away if you think that I'm wrong.) The world doesn't need
another GPL-vs-BSD "discussion" ;-)

Kieran