Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:22:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        shegonee@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: getty dies after entering username

On Sat, Aug 23, 1997 at 11:19:28AM -0700, shegonee@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I'm dialing into my FreeBSD box from a PC using Kermit 95.
> When I dialin the modems hadnshake and connect correctly,
> When the login propmpt appears, I enter a valid user name and
> getty dies immediatly.

This is the point where getty execs login.  It would die, for example,
if it couldn't find login, or if it didn't have permission to start
it.

> I think it has something to do with carrier detect.

Sure.  When it dies, the modem drops carrier detect.  I don't think
that "something to do with carrier detect" is the cause of the
problem.

> I worked fine previously but this problem started when I  reset
> my modem to factory defaults.

Hmmm.  Is that all you changed?

> Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it?

First, check the permissions for getty and login.  They should be
something like:

# ls -l /usr/bin/login /usr/libexec/getty
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  24576 Aug 21 20:53 /usr/bin/login
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin  24576 Aug 23 13:48 /usr/libexec/getty

Note that login is suid root, and getty isn't suid (which makes it run
as root, which should be OK).  If these permissions aren't set
correctly, change them and try again.  If it still doesn't work, run
ktrace on the getty:

# ps aux|grep getty
root    2009  3.1  1.0   252  620  p6  S+    9:16AM   0:00.03 grep getty
root     187  0.0  0.0   180    0  v1  Is+   2:02PM   0:00.03 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyd0
# ktrace -i -p 187

The option -i says "trace children of this process".  Otherwise, you
won't get the trace of login, if it gets started.  The "-p 187" says
"trace process 187" (second column of the ps listing).

ktrace will create a file called ktrace.out.  When the process dies,
look at it with the program kdump.

In order to do this, you will need to configure bpf in your kernel.
Make sure the config file for your running kernel has something like
the following line in it:

pseudo-device 	bpfilter	16	# Berkeley packet filter

The number (16 in this example) should be at least 1.

Greg