Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 14:05:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rnordier@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: dosfsck anyone?

J"org writes:
> As Robert Nordier wrote:
>
> > A preen option is a Good Thing.  'fsck' itself has code to parse
> > /etc/fstab, skipping non-ufs filesystems.  One solution would be
> > to incorporate equivalent code in 'dosfsck'.  Possibly a more
> > elegant approach (which may be what you had in mind) would be to
> > handle the /etc/fstab parsing in a generic front-end.
>
> I rather thought of it the other way round: similar to mount(8), keep
> fsck(8) being the generic front-end that does the fstab parsing and
> dispatching.  Much like mount(8), it could have builtin knowledge
> about some file system types (a builtin ufs checker, and the wisdom
> that procfs, swap, and cd9660 don't require checking at all), while it
> will call {/usr/sbin,/sbin}/fsck_${fstype} for all other file system
> types.

Foo.

man getfsent

There are already parsing routines for that file; don't write your
own code to do it.

The things should be calling "fstyp" anyway, which should call an
ioctl on the device to return FS type from the list of recognized
types.

The mount code for each FS needs this information anyway, so it can
tell if it should try mounting it to avoid a panic when you try to
mount an inappropriate device.  The code should be broken out for
an iterative call "fstyp" interface.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---