Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 19:02:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com, jkh@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: utmp changes

>   No what I wanted was a space for the key-name for ssh and a flag for the
>   fact that the session is encrypted.
>
> OK, then it was someone else who was talking about larger hostname sizes
> and IP addresses.  I'm more concerned about either making the space now,
> or at least creating a "RESERVED" area (we should do that anyway) in utmp
> and wtmp.
>
> To start the ball rolling, let me just suggest the following.  I know it's
> not pretty, and I'm not so sure that the remote ssh key belongs in utmp,
> but this is what I conceive as changing.  The big thing is I'd like to fix
> the size of the utmp structure once and for all, and define the reserved
> area as must-be-zero so we don't get in the mess we just got in ever again. :-(

I would like to suggest a record size field for the next record.

Alternatively, I'd like to suggest a version field, and a version tag on
the structure names with a version flagged section for the unversioned name
definition for compatability.

Either one of these would let the utmp/wtmp record format change within
a single file, and would allow future changes to be painless; the version
tagged structure names would allow for simple conversion programs.  A
version would be more flexible, but lose backward compatability; a size
would only allow growth, but could maintain general compatability of
outdated tools running against a newer set of data.  8-(.

I believe the ssh key is actually session information; session information
does not belong in utmp/wtmp; especially, an ssh key does not belong in
utmp, and wtmp is still a bit problematic, though less so than utmp.  We
need to abstract the ability to do session management; I should be able
to attach any type of credential information to my current session
credential, and all credential references for my user should refrence
the addended credential (ie: refrence count it instead of duping it
around for new logins by the same user, etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.