Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:00:36 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Carsten Kunze <carsten.kunze@arcor.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, sjg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make .SUFFIXES bug?

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 07:01, Carsten Kunze <carsten.kunze@arcor.de> wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> current groff doesn't build on FreeBSD.  I had noticed the same issue some=
 months ago on NetBSD and cross checked on FreeBSD and it had worked on Free=
BSD.  There must have somethig changed since then.  How to reproduce:
>=20
> When there is a file "test.1.man" and a makefile:
>=20
> .SUFFIXES:
> .SUFFIXES: .roff .in .ps .mom .pdf .me .ms .ps .html .txt .texi .dvi .pdf .=
xhtml .man .c .cpp .log .o .obj .sed .sin .test .test$(EXEEXT) .trs .ypp
>=20
> .man:
>        @echo Making $@ from $<
>        rm -f $@
>        @LC_ALL=3DC \
>         sed -e "s|foo|bar|g" \
>         $< >$@
>=20
> "make test.1" results in "make: don't know how to make test.1. Stop".
>=20
> When ".man" is put to the start of the list it works.  It also works when t=
he first .SUFFIXES line is removed.
>=20
> The answer from NetBSD is that this is very likely a bug in make.  May thi=
s also be the case for FreeBSD?

Hi Carsten,

Probably since both use bmake... (I saw you started the other thread on tech=
-userlevel@netbsd.org).

Simon maintains bmake. I've CCed him for visibility.

Thanks!
-NGie=