Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:22:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        mgraffam@mhv.net
Cc:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.0

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 mgraffam@mhv.net wrote:

> I agree that limited access to the C compiler helps improve the security
> of the system, but you must remember that you are using PC's with a
> free OS. How long do you think it would take for someone to install
> FreeBSD off of CD, get to a shell, compile the exploits they need and
> then upload the binaries to your system?
>
> I say 60 minutes, tops.. if the attacker is familiar with FreeBSD.
> I don't think total removal makes much sense on PC's with a free OS.
> There are too many PC's running around, and anyone can get the
> OS.

I bid them good luck on my printserver; there's 2mb left on the disk, and
only telnet, ftp and LPRng are running. :)  And it's a 386/33; compiles
would take hours.  Submitting print jobs takes long enough.

If someone can run your C compiler to compile a program that can break
you, you're already lost.