Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 05:40:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/46836: Update security/gpgme to 0.3.14

The following reply was made to PR ports/46836; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc: Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:10:00 +0200

 On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 08:10:32PM +0100, Miguel Mendez wrote:
 > On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:50:03 -0800 (PST)
 > Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de> wrote:
 >

 > >  That *might* break some ports.. (i don't know if there is a port
 > >  which requires that gpgmeplug or not. Means, that is only a train of
 > >  thought)
 > >
 > >  http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gpa-dev/2002-December/001045.html
 > >
 > >  <cut>
 > >  gpgmeplug is not anymore included but
 > >  diverted to a separate package named cryptplug.
 > >  </cut>
 >
 > Good point, a quick look at our ports tree...
 >
 > flynn@christine# foreach foo ( `find . -name "Makefile"` )
 > foreach? echo $foo >> /tmp/gpgme.dep; grep gpgme $foo>> /tmp/gpgme.dep
 > foreach? end
 >
 > reveals that (unless I'm mistaken) only the two sylpheeds and
 > mail/anubis depend on gpgme, both of which seem to work with this new
 > version.

 A faster and somewhat more precise way to do that would be:

   find /usr/ports -type f | xargs fgrep -l gpgme > /tmp/gpgme.dep

 The important point here is that searching Makefiles is not enough:
 sometimes port dependencies are specified in other ways, e.g. in config
 scripts relying on user input, as in the www/mod_php* case.

 In this particular case, the only files which contain 'gpgme' are
 ports/INDEX(-5), ports/security/gpgme/*, and, as you pointed out,
 the Makefiles of the various sylpheed and anubis ports.

 > Granted I'm not an anubis user, but I can certify that sylpheed does
 > work. anubis has built and isntalled ok too.

 Nothing to say about that; just comments on the dependency search method :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 If wishes were fishes, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.