Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:34:49 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        Michael Fuckner <michael@fuckner.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HPC and zfs.

On Feb 6, 2012, at 7:24 PM, Michael Fuckner wrote:

> Another thing to think about is CPU: you probably need weeks for a =
rebuild of a single disk in a Petabyte Filesystem- I haven't tried this =
with ZFS yet, but I'm really interested if anyone already did this.

This is where ZFS will shine. Depending on how you stripe disks, you can =
either get super fast resilver (if you go for stripe of mirrors), to =
fast (if you go for small number of disks raidz) to reasonable (if you =
of for large number of disks raidz). If you need high TPS you will want =
to go with mirrors anyway.

The thing is doable with commodity hardware, but I wonder how one ever =
backups such setup?

Daniel=