Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:21:01 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 12:31:03PM -0600, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> Mark Ovens babbled:
> > From mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org Tue Nov 23 20:13:53 1999
>
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 06:32:36PM -0600, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> > > Mark Ovens babbled:

> > > Ditto.  In fact, I have both vim and Lemmy on my NT notebook, and have
> > > found Lemmy to be the best implementation of vi I've tried yet.   Porting
> > > or cloning Lemmy to FreeBSD would be a Good Idea, but I can't program
> > > myself out of a wet paper bag.  Does anyone else here have any experience
> > > with Lemmy?
> >
> > I did once e-mail the author, James Iuliano, and suggest this but
> > got no response ;) Mind you, gvim is a pretty good substitute.
>
> Perhaps I ought to try.  James at least owes me a reply, since I paid for
> my copy of Lemmy.

So did I, well at least my employer did - an unlimited site licence.
Anyway, I doubt you'll get any joy from James; he sold Lemmy to
Software Online http://www.softwareonline.org/lemmy40.html before
v3 appeared.

> I suppose I'll wait and see whether I get any other
> supporting comments from this list.  I'd like to be able to tell him that
> there are more than two of us in the FreeBSD world who have an interest.
>
> > > Oh, and Lemmy doesn't recognize :viusage.  I guess nothing's perfect.
> >
> > Probably because it's a Windows program and has Windows help files
>
> Since Windoze help files are generally NO-help files, I hadn't thought to
> look.  I just tried it, and Lemmy blew up - consistently.  Tell me again
> how Windoze help is going to make life better.   :-(

By giving you a nice warm glow inside through the knowledge
that you're helping BG to retain his status as the world's
richest man :P)

--
PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"