Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:53:15 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Maxim Mazurok <maxim@km.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console patch part II...

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:29:25PM +0200, Maxim Mazurok wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:56:50AM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
>
> >With a custom kernel with the Creator-3D support compiled in and
> >device adjustments as typically recommended (add sc, uart, puc;
> >remove sab and zs) the uart code stops working properly.
>
> sorry for offtopic...
> i have OEM motherboard Ultra AXe
> on this boart i have two ports sab(4) and two ports sio(4), but sio(4)
> driver broken in sparc64... i have panic while kernel booting.
> can i use all 4 ports width uart driver?

Yes.

> what i need add to my kernel?

You need puc(4) to detect the SAB, and you need uart(4) to handle
the individual channels of the SAB and the NS16550 (or compat).

Remove sab(4), sio(4) [which doesn't work anyway] and ofw_console(4).

A technical note about the use of puc(4) [can be ignored]:

An SSC (Synchronuous Communications Controller) like the SAB
typically allows 3 or 4 protocols to be selected. These being:
1. Asynchronuous
2. Mono-sync
3. Bi-sync
4. SDLC/HDLC

My vision is that you ideally have a ssc(4) device that provides
a bus onto which one can hang uart(4), hdlc(4), msyn(4) and/or
bisyn(4). The bus operates in such a way that when uart(4) is
active any of the other devices on the bus are disabled. Active
meaning that the device file has been opened. Obviously we do
not have ssc(4) and we need to write one. In the mean time, puc(4)
fills in the function of exposing the channels to uart(4) so that
we keep uart(4) simple and elementary without making it impossible
in the future to created ssc(4)...

JFYI (in case people were wondering),