Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:02:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   winnov...

I recently exchanged some email with Winnov to see if they have docs
for their audio/video capture card. They have sent me back a zip
archive with some documentation, which seems a good starting point.
I still don't know if they allow source distribution of a potential
FreeBSD driver but probably they will not object.

Let me say that the board is an ISA device and an old design, so
I would not buy it if _now_ that we have bt848 things (this would
have been different a couple of years ago when the only alternative
was the Meteor which was way too expensive.  However it has some
nice features such as integrated compression (or so they claim)
and an integrated audio codec.

The Videum card appears to be a 'standard' component in
some videoconferencing kits on sale around here, so one might end
up getting the card anyways together with other things like a cheap
camera etc (much like those cheap SCSI controllers which come with
scanners).

So, does anyone already have this card and is willing to work on
the driver ? I am willing to help. It probably uses CS42xx codecs and
Philips video devices, so much can be borrowed from ad1848.c and
meteor.c

	Cheers
	Luigi