Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 14:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        kstewart@3-cities.com
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printjob.c

According to Kent Stewart:

> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >    Further examination of my lpr problems have turned up
> >    some strange results.
> >
> >    As root, lptest > /dev/lpt0
> >
> >    spits out essentially blank pages; it prints one test line
> >    and quits.  As myself, I run into permission problems.
> >
> >    catting a file (  as root  ) to /dev/lpt0  seems to work
> >    in very slowmotion which would seem to indicate some screwup
> >    in the BIOS setup.

		Mis-statement:

		# cat file > /dev/lpt0

		printf ``file'' (with staircase); with it's usual
		hesitation..

> >    lpq always shows `no entries'.
> >
> >    The "cannot exevc %s" <filter> string is coming from an execv()
> >    failure in lpr/lpr/printjob.c,  but that's about it.
> >
> >    Ideas, printer wizards??
>
> You created your filter or etc as root and didn't chmod it so a user
> could run it.

		I don't think so::

pe 13:44 <tao> [982] ll printcap                                           /etc
2 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  291 Jun  6  1998 printcap

		and in /usr/local/libexec, hpif is 0555

-r-xr-xr-x  1 kline  kline  499 May  1 10:43 hpif

		This hpif isn't the original, but it ought to
		work.  At least with lpr.   But zero.

		I figure that the trouble has something to do
		with lpr, but I can't imagine what:

tao# cd /usr/bin;ll lpr
/usr/bin
-r-sr-sr-x  1 root  daemon  20480 Mar 24  1998 lpr
tao# file lpr
lpr: setuid setgid FreeBSD/i386 compact demand paged dynamically linked executable

		lpr looks undamaged.  There are no locks in
		/var/spool/output.

		What am I missing?

		gary