Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 00:06:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com (William Woods)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem installing an RPM file

William Woods wrote:
> I ave installed the RPM for FreeBSD and am trying to install an RPM file
> with rpm -i -v -h xxxxxxx.rpm but I get this message:
>
> xxxxx.rpm is for a different operating system
> error: xxxxxxx.rpm cannot be installed
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem?

Install Linux?

Seriously, though, it sounds like you're trying to install a binary
(Linux/i86, Linux/Sparc ???) on a F'bsd system.

If that's what you want, (i.e. you are running Linux emulation),
then try forcing the rpm with, I think, --force.  You may wish to
fiddle with the installation root (see the manpage), so that the
linux binaries are installed under /compat or wherever. Rpm can
use an "rpm.conf" file, I think. Read up on --force; it seems
rather brutal, overiding all manner of things.

Since installing Linux binaries would appear to be a prime use
of rpm on BSD, your problem probably merits a bug report to the
package retainer.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net