Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:25:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Walter Hafner <hafner@forwiss.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is my NCR controller broken?

I just dealt with solving the same problem.  In fact there were were
several problems.

1) DEC DSP5400S drive dies with a physical media failure
2) Attempt to low level the drive; it fails and the drive powers down [ie
   it is dead, Jim]
3) remove the drive from /etc/fstab and run for two weeks with same
   physical setup, waiting for replacement.
4) Remove dead drive [internal] and add new drive [external] with correct
   termination.  Haul dead drive to school, to try using the Solaris
   format comand on it.  Attempt to remote log into my machine, its dead.
   powering up and powering down. Turns out the Y connector is dead.
   Remove it.  Sigh of releif; not two dead disks in two weeks.
6) Format the DSP5400S.  It powers down on the sun too.  The grown
   defect list is approx 1000; the primary is approx 200.  Seems quite
   dead...
7) Return home, reconnect the rest of my external chain.  Starts to boot,
   and dies with error messsages you describe during fsck.  *Grumble*
8) Dissect each external case, try all combinations one at a time, turns
   out that if I include the CD writer I get the above errors while
   fscking.  "FunnySCSI" below is the "weird" connector which is on a
   SUN-3 shoe box.

   [2 internal drives] -> [Computer-HD50] -> [Tape-Centronics] ->
       [CDWriter-FunnySCSI] -> [Disk-Centronics]

   Next I swapped the tape and disk; same effect

9) Next I bought a Centronics-Centronics cable, to remove the CDWriter
   from the chain.
    -> this worked fine

10) Broke SCSI spec by terminating the CD writer at the drive, leaving
    an illegal stub of cable sticking out of the case [the other FunnySCSI
    connector].  Connected this with one funnyscsi->centronics cable ..
    -> this seems to work fine

Hopefully this helps somebody with scsi problems :)

John