Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:02:24 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-isp@chittenden.org>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boa small/fast web server

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

> > 	Boa's an excellent static content web server, I've been very
> > impressed with its performance and hackability (just make sure that
> > you know it can get any file that's world readable).  How many file
> > descriptors do you have?  -sc
>=20
> How do I check this? I presume you mean free descriptors, no extra options
> in my kernel.

	Check the FreeBSD handbook, there's tons of documentation on this.

> They're on separate IPs, both on port 80. The ports and source version of
> Boa is identical, and the only patches appear to be some minor path
> changes, and the following in Makefile:

	Hmm....  have you tried the make with bison instead?

> This is a Cyrix 233 underclocked to 150MHz, 128Mb RAM, 10Gb IDE HD, 10Mbit
> generic NE2000 compatible card. The site is sending out approximately
> 12-14Gb of data daily, the bulk of that being 10-20k images. The
> underclocking was an attempt to fix the crashing problems, which have not
> reoccurred since I removed all SIMM memory; I haven't yet changed the
> clock speed back.

	When things were crashing, was it signal 11?

> last pid: 36124;  load averages: 16.60, 27.51, 30.73    up 0+19:02:47 17:=
51:51
> 280 processes: 22 running, 257 sleeping, 1 zombie
> CPU states: 36.2% user,  0.0% nice, 47.0% system, 16.4% interrupt,  0.4% =
idle
> Mem: 75M Active, 9052K Inact, 29M Wired, 5508K Cache, 22M Buf, 4528K Free
> Swap: 256M Total, 5176K Used, 251M Free, 1% Inuse

	Sounds like you guys need to do an application redesign
that'll serialize the fetches or setup a specific number of processes
that are fetching the images (limited amount of parallel execution).

> Note the idle state and the small amount of swap used. The number of
> processes may also be an issue.
>=20
> Any pointers on where to start with tweaking? Thanks for your help...
>=20
> The site is http://www.camrecord.com/ if you want to see an example of
> images being missed. ;\

	Pop ups are evil.  ::grin::  -sc