Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:00:44 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Guangyuan Yang <yzgyyang@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: The Italian translation has not been updated since 2008
References:  <CAF6rxgm782HH-xaEmB3E2FBC5s8zJ%2BjFfddRk4=ayxB6LPR4tA@mail.gmail.com> <d3e91067-5b61-20c6-c123-fc3508622255@madpilot.net> <d3a3864a-0a49-53a8-eea8-e2fc55092b55@FreeBSD.org> <018ed56d-4f1c-107b-1c58-047cd3c22fa7@FreeBSD.org> <20180809101944.wfi2xlx4tojjz577@dx240.localdomain> <CABBk%2B3quXF8cjyt8G1jr%2B-O52pvsT4ZHEmwGfk%2B48R275xRYtA@mail.gmail.com> <49bcb4ed-c9ff-6150-259e-e27e8002820a@FreeBSD.org> <20180811123053.k75234raqdo43lzm@dx240.localdomain>

On 8/11/18 2:30 PM, Danilo G. Baio wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:33:24PM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On 8/9/18 5:00 PM, Guangyuan Yang wrote:
>>> Danilo G. Baio <dbaio@freebsd.org> 于2018年8月9日周四 上午6:20写道:

>>> Currently, as the sole doc committer / translator who is working on
>>> zh_CN tree, I really hope we could have web platforms that could
>>> minimize the learning curve for casual translators. I introduced
>>> several enthusiasts to the translation project, but as time passed by
>>> they all gave up even if I already simplified the process for them (to
>>> use git, GitHub and Poedit).
>>
>> I made a few tests this morning.
>>
>> poedit is crashing quite often for me. Maybe it's some bug triggered by
>> Italian encoding/characters(we use lots of accented letters, both acute
>> and grave depending on word meaning, actual grammatical rules are quite
>> strict too)). I have also tested gtranslator which looks more robust.
>>
>> Apart from that a github workflow looks a little difficult, due to the
>> need to solve merge conflicts on the whole file, and the various tools
>> generating slightly different output.
>>
>> I also know for sure some of the people I could get to help me don't use
>> git and would not be happy of it being mandatory for this work :)
>>

>>> Zanata looks great, I will definitely try it out. Also, I loved the
>>> idea of a stage where FreeBSD members can check / approve the
>>> translation. Please keep me updated and let me know how I could help
>>> with the toolchain.
>>
>> I created an account on zanata (madpilot) and I have made a quick test
>> with the handbook file. It looks like its doing what is needed and can
>> be used even by non developers (which is not quite true for git/github).
>>
>> Regarding this, maybe creating a single "FreeBSD handbook" project could
>> be useful. Are other translators interested in testing having one common
>> project on this platform?
>>
>> Looks like it is also possible to have multiple revisions in parallel,
>> so each language team can work on its own target revision of the
>> upstream handbook.
>>
>> Otherwise each language team can have it's own project if a more
>> granular approach is deemed better.
>>
>> --
>> Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
>

> This is what I'm using so far to test Zanata.
>
> https://github.com/dbaio/zanata
>
> We can definitely share a common repository/project for all languages, as we
> all will need a pot (template) tracked from English documents.
>
> I registered the "FreeBSD" project in Zanata, glad to add all interested people
> there as administrators.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm playing around with my use on Zanata.

At present I was going to create a separate project, because we could
need different pot files, based on different upstream revisions.

Anyway thanks, you gave me a good idea on how to have separate workflows
for people not wanting to use Zanata.

I still have some homework to do before actual work can start.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>