Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:14:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integration of Net/OpenBSD code (was Re: your mail)

> If people are saying the x86 part of FreeBSD is weakening (some
> say since the adoption of alpha) I don't think it is a good idea
> to start (or promote) work on a sparc port.

I would, in fact, like hard statistics and documentation of the
measuring syystem(s) used to achieve this conclusion.

Without this, the statement that the x86 port is being "hurt" by
other platforms is nothing more than unsupported FUD.

> Personally, I think it is more important for FreeBSD to concentrate
> on getting IA-64 (and AMD 64bit) support happening than for sparc64
> and that sparc64 is a waste of time/effort for FreeBSD.  Concentrate
> on what FreeBSD is good at doing and don't get distracted.

FreeBSD is code, not a human being.  It does not "concentrate".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.