Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:23:00 -0700
From:      Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
To:        "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop. (HP, Compaq, or Gateway)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:49:14 -0500, Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)
<mraught@acm.org> wrote:
> On to the big problem; I can't find any info on any of the laptops with
> FreeBSD. I checked the usual compatibility web pages, but couldn't find
> these specific models and don't know what models would be close. I am
> going today to play with a FreeSBIE CD, but I would feel more
> comfortable knowing if I was going to hit any big roadblocks.

That is the way to do it! Boot FreeSBIE 1.1 on those laptops and open
up OpenOffice and type in it. Also play with the mouse to make sure
that it functions OK. If FreeSBIE runs OK on those laptops then
FreeBSD should work just fine. I used this method when I went shopping
for a laptop about 2 years ago. Only then I used Knoppix to do the
test.