Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:43:29 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexpected FS rot.

Douglas K. Rand, the prominent pundit, on Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:57
while half mumbling, half-witicized:

> The other day we had a mildly embarrassing event when we closed up a
> case on one of our dual Athlon systems with out turning the case fans
> on first. (There is this helpful switch to allow you to "hot swap" the
> fans.)

> So the Athlon's essentially turned themselves off after getting too
> hot, which froze the system. After figuring out what we did wrong
> (lots of Duh! going around that afternoon) we brought the system back
> up.

That's one reason that many advise not using Athon's in critical
server systems.   The P4 equivalents will throttle back their clock
speed so as not to overheat.  tomshardware.com  had some pretty
graphic pictures of Athlons that had melted - in under one second
- when the CPU fans died.  Later chip sets detect Athlon
overheating and just shut the system down.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com