Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:14:41 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/devel/icu: PTHREAD_LIBS clean

On Monday 27 November 2006 10:59, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
= šššššššš1. PTHREAD_LIBS=-lthr
= šššššššš š So I removed libpthread.*, I'm testing.
=
= šššššššš2. WITHOUT_LIBPTHREAD=yes >> /etc/src.conf and make world
= šššššššš š ru@ committed this way. šSo I can do it.
= šššššššš š But we can only use on 7-current. šIf you'll try to get
= šššššššš š libthr environment, you can only select 1.
=
= šššššššš3. libpthread.so.2 -> libthr.so.2 in /etc/libmap.conf IS TOO BAD
= šššššššš š I don't think this approch is good, believe that I'll get
= šššššššš š unstable environment.

It will be just as unstable, as one achieved by 1. or 2. Just much easier and
without world-rebuilds.

= > ICU developers think, threads ought to be enabled, but there really is no
= > software at the moment, which calls into ICU from multiple threads at the
= > same time, AFAIK...
=
= ššššššššI don't think trying to use multiple threads at the same time.
= ššššššššBut if applications use libthr, libraries must use libthr, too.

You are right about the dangers of mixing different thread implementations,
but library may also be not using threads _at all_. -lm, for example, is
happily used by many threaded programs without itself being thread-aware.

(If anything, a library, even a thread-aware one, should, arguably, not be
explicitly linking with any thread implementation -- this way, it will use,
whatever implementation the application is using. But that's a different
topic...)

	-mi