Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 11:35:35 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   make(1) extension for SHELL COMMANDS

<<On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 17:13:36 +0200, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de> said:

>> Very bad idea, and almost certainly contrary to P1003.2.

> What says P1003.2 about /bin/sh?

It's not what it says about the Bourne Shell that's relevant here,
it's what it says about the `make' program.  In particular, it says
that all commands are to be executed by means of `/bin/sh -c'.  It
almost certainly disallows use of any special characters other than

> Note: the following example don't use /bin/sh in BSD make, our make
>       use execv(3)

Well, that's yet another way in which pmake is broken with respect to
POSIX.  I'm not at all surprised to hear it.  We don't need to make
the situation even worse than it already is.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.