Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:57:09 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   any nginx/letsencrypt experts out there?

--000000000000be193e05e8706098

Something seems to have gone wrong with a working nginx/letsencrypt
installation. I suspect LE has changed some things while this system was
running 11.4 and the update to 12.3 brought those changes to light.

I have a www and cloud server under a single domain and a certificate for
each. Not sure that's right but I think that's what LE/certbot came up with
from reading nginx.conf (ie, it was setup and worked that way but might
have always been wrong and I am just now catching up with that). The
cloud.domain server loads just fine but the www.domain will not. There is
additional confusion over www vs bare (non-www).domain. Again, that worked
before w some rewriting and whatnot but seems not to work now. Requests for
www. are now forced to the non-www listener and all the necessary bits
(wordpress, etc) are in the www. server stanza.

Also I can get openssl on the command line to work fine so there is a
chance it's some goofy Apple Safari mishegas that needs sorting out.

Is it better just have a single cert for *.domain? That makes more sense to
me, not sure how this other situation came to be.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/

--000000000000be193e05e8706098

tsencrypt installation. I suspect LE has changed some things while this sys=
tem was running 11.4 and the update to 12.3 brought those changes to light.=
 domain and a certificate for each. Not sure that&#39;s right but I think t=
hat&#39;s what LE/certbot came up with from reading nginx.conf (ie, it was =
setup and worked that way but might have always been wrong and I am just no=
w catching up with that). The cloud.domain server loads just fine but the w=
ww.domain will not. There is additional confusion=C2=A0over www vs bare (no=
n-www).domain. Again, that worked before=C2=A0w some rewriting and whatnot =
but seems not to work now. Requests=C2=A0for www. are now forced to the non=
-www listener and all the necessary bits (wordpress, etc) are in the www. s=
command line to work fine so there is a chance it&#39;s some goofy Apple Sa=
better just have a single cert for *.domain? That makes more sense to me, n=
div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gma=
il_signature">Paul Beard / <a href=3D"http://www.paulbeard.org/" target=3D"=

--000000000000be193e05e8706098--