Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:00:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Neil Ludban <n-ludban@onu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.5 and 3.0 on same disk -- will it work?

Hello,

I'd like to have both -current and -stable installed on the same drive.
It's a 4G SCSI drive, with 4 slices (all FreeBSD).  Slice 1 has partitions
a and f (32M each), and e and g (200M each).  2.2.5 is already running
with / on sd0a and /usr on sd0s1a.  sd0f and sd0s1g are reserved for / and
/usr for 3.0.

I tried installing 3.0 a couple weeks ago, but it didn't work correctly.
The existing partitions were mounted, and / set to be newfs'd (so the /dev
entries for the slices would be created).  Everything installed fine, then
I rebooted and found out that it had switched root to sd0a and installed
over the 2.2.5 partition (only /, everything else was fine).  Reinstalled
2.2.5 (/ on sd0f) and it also switched to sd0a, so I was back where I
started.

Now that there's a good SMP snapshot out, I'd like to try this again.
Questions:

- I tried untarring the the bin dist into sd0f, built a kernel with root
on sd0f, and it worked (although I didn't really run it for any length of
time).  But, install does some stuff with permissions and /dev afterwards.
What does it do, and is there a way to do it manually?

- Is there anything else that assumes / will be on partition a, and could
cause it to be corrupted.  Would having no a at all fix that?

- Is there a way to get the install floppy to actually install to f?

Thanks--
		--Neil