Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:32:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD or any related freeBSDs support file larger than 2GB on 32bit x86 platforms

Oliver Fromme writes:
 > gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 >  > [...]  I was thinking of trying freeBSD with its SCO emulation
 >  > support but I am uncertain whether freeBSD supports files larger than 2GB on
 >  > 32bit x86 platforms.
 >
 > It certainly does.
 >
 > olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> touch foobar
 > olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> truncate `echo "2^43 - 1" | bc` foobar
 > olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp> ls -l foobar
 > -rw-r--r--  1 olli  wheel  8796093022207 Jul 27 23:55 foobar
 > olli@dao-lin-hay:/tmp>
 >
 > That's 8 Tbyte - 1.  Impressive, isn't it?  :)
 >
 > By the way, off_t (the data type used for seeking in files and
 > other things) is 64 bits in FreeBSD, even on the 32bit i386
 > platform, so this is not limiting.

This shows FreeBSD is able to create sparse files bigger than 2GB. It
does not neccessarily show there are l_seek calls in the icbs emulator
supporting 64k file offsets.

To answer the original question, look in the sources of the SCO binary
emulation for seek functions. If the offset is defined as 64 bit
integer, FreeBSD SCO emulation will support random seek in files
bigger than 2GB.

-Christoph Sold
P.S: No, I have not looked into the source. I have no idea where the
SCO emulator lives in the source tree. Please correct me if I am wrong.