Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:52:14 -0500
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        "'David Horis'" <dvdhoris@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Mount and repair HD?

=20
> Hello,
>=20
> A Snap Server 1100 just died on me... (Single drive,=20
> FreeBSD-based, I think...)
>=20
> I think it's not HD related as I can't even get into to the=20
> hardware/bios reset mode.
>=20
> Have you folks ever heard of anyone opening one of these=20
> things up and mounting the drive on a regular PC?
>=20
> Since the drive probably has some coruption, due to the MB/OS=20
> crash, how would I go about fixing those before I mount the=20
> drive and try to copy off the files?
>=20
> Since I am not familiar with *nix, can someone point me to a=20
> walk through on this?   (Is there a FreeBSD live CD I could use?)
>=20
>=20
> Thanks,
> David
>=20
> =20
> ---------------------------------

These use regular IDE drives so you can plug them to any PC (Note, =
you're voiding the warranty if you open the box).

If FreeBSD OS is installed on them, the first thing I'd do is try to =
boot from the HD unless a custom kernel was made.

If this is not bootable drive, just UFS file system, then use FreeBSD =
Boot CD off freebsd.org to boot the thing and mount the drive according =
to what the drive is named

e.g. mount /dev/ad1s1a /

Good luck!

Tamouh