Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:31:25 -0800
From:      Bohdan Tashchuk <tashchuk@easystreet.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND (8.1.2) reverse mapping for RFC 1918 addresses? - Please Help

"Ronald F. Guilmette" wrote:

> P.S.  More questions:  (1) Why was FreeBSD 3.3 distributed with what would
> seem to be such an out-of-date named?  (2)  Why was the named binary that is
> being distributed with FreeBSD 3.3 built to use a different default path
> for the configuration file from the one that (it seems) ISC recommends?
> Does this fall into the category of `annoyingly pointless incompatibilities'?

I ran into very similar problems. Bind 8.1.2 was causing timeouts and so I
upgraded to 8.2.1. As you point out, the location of the config file is
different between what is in FreeBSD 3.3 and what is in the 8.2.1 port.
Also, the port itself is a bit of a hassle, because it installs into
/usr/local/... and doesn't replace the obsolete Bind binaries.

Earlier I had the same problems with FreeBSD 3.2 and so was disappointed
that the September release of 3.3 didn't include the newer Bind which was
released in June. In fact I was so anxious to fix my Bind problem that I
uploaded the ISO disk image as soon as 3.3 came out, to no avail. Since it
didn't fix my problem I avoided buying the CD-ROMs, so the upload
definitely saved me some money.

I don't know how things are in the Linux world, but this same situation was
very typical for BSD/OS, the commercial version I used to use. Whenever a
new release of BSD/OS came out there would be complaints that the
distributed version of some random software was out of date. So FreeBSD is
no worse in that respect, and given that the ports mechanism makes updating
relatively easy, FreeBSD is IMO better than BSD/OS in regards to current
versions.

And since so much of FreeBSD is "volunteer", and it's all free, I really
can't complain.