Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:19:29 +0000
From:      "steve" <freebsd-questions@spectrumcs.net>
To:        "Arthur Chance" <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>, "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re-2: Ports question ....

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Ports question .... (29-Aug-2014 14:45)
From:    Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:      freebsd-questions@spectrumcs.net

> On 29/08/2014 13:59, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> [huge snip]
>=20
> > I have been using portsnap, I just couldn't figure out how to get it =
> > tell me what ports had been updated since I last fetched (w/o =
fetching
> > again) ....
>=20
> It's my experience that you don't want to be told which ports have been =

> updated, as most updates are to ports you're not the slightest bit=20
> interested in. There are nearly 25,000 ports according to FreshPorts and =

> I personally have only about 400 installed on my desktop machine (and=20
> far fewer on my servers). That means on average I'm totally uninterested =

> in 98+% of all port updates.
>=20
> What you need to know is what *installed* ports are out of date with=20
> respect to the new ports tree. That's where the 400.status-pkg periodic =

> script is useful. I update my ports tree via a crontab entry at 23:00 on =

> Fridays, and the weekly periodic script runs at 4:15 on Saturday, so I=20
> get mail every Saturday morning telling me which installed ports are out =

> of date.

For what it's worth I have two scripts I've created.

# ll /usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-*
/usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-ports-updates-cron.sh
/usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-ports-updates.sh

# less /usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-ports-updates-cron.sh
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/portsnap cron update && /usr/sbin/pkg version -vIL=3D

# less /usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-ports-updates.sh
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/portsnap fetch update && /usr/sbin/pkg version -vIL=3D
read -r -p "Press Enter key to continue..." key
less /usr/ports/UPDATING

and then I have a symlink set to call the cron version on a daily basis.

ll /etc/periodic/daily/*scs-check-for-ports*
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    51B Jan 14  2013 =
/etc/periodic/daily/610.scs-check-for-ports-updates-cron.sh -> =
/usr/local/sbin/scs-check-for-ports-updates-cron.sh

The use of the cron command vs a simple fetch means portsnap waits a =
random time between 0 and 3600 seconds (1 hour) before fetching. This =
helps to prevent everyone hitting the port tree servers at exactly the =
same time (usually we admins cron on the hour).

# portsnap
usage: portsnap [options] command ... [path]

  -d workdir   -- Store working files in workdir
                  (default: /var/db/portsnap/)
  -f conffile  -- Read configuration options from conffile
                  (default: /etc/portsnap.conf)
  -I           -- Update INDEX only. (update command only)
  -k KEY       -- Trust an RSA key with SHA256 hash of KEY
  -l descfile  -- Merge the specified local describes file into the =
  -p portsdir  -- Location of uncompressed ports tree
                  (default: /usr/ports/)
  -s server    -- Server from which to fetch updates.
                  (default: portsnap.FreeBSD.org)
  path         -- Extract only parts of the tree starting with the given
                  string.  (extract command only)
Commands:
  fetch        -- Fetch a compressed snapshot of the ports tree,
                  or update an existing snapshot.
  cron         -- Sleep rand(3600) seconds, and then fetch updates.
  extract      -- Extract snapshot of ports tree, replacing existing
                  files and directories.
  update       -- Update ports tree to match current snapshot, replacing
                  files and directories which have changed.

Because this script is cron daily in my "[HOSTNAME] daily run output" =
email I get every morning I see something like....

amavisd-new-2.8.0_2,1              <   needs updating (index has 2.9.1,1)
syslog-ng-3.5.4.1                  <   needs updating (index has 3.5.6_3)

Regards

Scotter

To: freebsd@qeng-ho.org
    wam@hiwaay.net
    freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

DISCLAIMER
This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have =
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and =
then delete it.=20
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, =
copy or distribute this email without the authors prior permission.=20
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software =
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any =
attachment to this message.
We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software =
viruses.
The information contained in this communication may be confidential and =
may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.=20
If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar =
electronic messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to =
this effect.