Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:11:26 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org, dstenn@fanfic.org, ache@nagual.pp.ru, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: SB AWE64 support

Conrad Sabatier:

 |>> Sounds good to me.  I assume that Amancio and Luigi are still the
 |>> "point men" on the sound driver these days?
 |>
 |> I think -- may be wrong -- that Randall imported the awe support this
 |> summer, and the relevant bits are probably already in guspnp (thus in
 |> -current). Then it might well be that by default /dev/synth uses the FM
 |> synth instead of the wavetable, but that should be trivial to fix.
 |
 |Before committing this, someone needs to take a look at the memory probe.  I
 |recently added the 24 meg memory module to my AWE 64, but only the original
 |512K is detected at startup (which is odd, considering that with the "value"
 |AWE 64, this original memory is supposed to be disabled/replaced by the
 |module's memory).
 |
 |Sfxload will not load the larger (for example, 8 meg GM) sound fonts, either.

Just ported the latest AWE driver & related package to -current (and
-stable) and asked John-Mark if he'd commit it for me.  Once that's done,
I'll pass the ports to Satoshi.  http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/ if you
want a preview.

Conrad, just a thought -- have you tried defining AWE_DEFAULT_MEM_SIZE to
override the driver mem detection.  It'd be interesting to see if that
works.  Let me know, and we can dig into the driver and see why the
auto-detection algorithm doesn't seem to be working for that massive amount
of wavetable mem you have :-)

For another datapoint, you might try the 0.4.2c driver on the my web page
(URL above).

One other thing you might check (you probably already have).  Are there any
jumpers or Windoze setup-type programs for the AWE64 that might let you set
the amount of memory installed (or force the card to reprobe itself and
update any CMOS/EEPROM settings it might have?)

Randall