Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:13:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@ilion.eu.org>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bit OS?

:Kevin Elphinstone did a PhD thesis on TLB structures for 64 bit address spaces
:and it turns out that hash tables perform quite poorly. I'd suggest GPTs
:instead, or maybe LPCtrie that Chris Szmajda has been working on here at UNSW.
:Both have the advantage of supporting multiple page sizes that IA64 (and
:Alpha) offer, and hence dramatically increasing the TLB coverage over what
:Linux (or any other commercial OS that took a bite at IA64) can achieve.
:Kevin's paper's at:
:ftp://ftp.cse.unsw.edu.au/pub/users/disy/papers/Elphinstone:phd.ps.gz
:
:Maybe that way we can somehow make use of the Itanium's 4GB page size ;))))
:
:Pat.

    Linux has a good idea re: mapping all of real memory into KVM, it's
    just one that doesn't work well on a 32 bit architecture :-).  But on
    a 64 bit architecture it can be seriously useful.  At the very least
    we can get rid of the private pmap pages and make pmap copying a much
    faster operation.

    I read Kevin's thesis.  Facinating!  The GPT concept is essentially
    a radix tree (and a degenerate version of the radix tree is, of course,
    the normal two-level page table IA32 uses).  All the memory and
    performance issues Kevin brings up are exactly the same memory and
    performance issues that a radix tree has.   And he is bang-on in
    regards to node sharing.  With a normal page table node sharing is
    difficult because each page in the page table represents a large area
    of memory (4MB on IA32).  But using a GPT we can potentially node-share
    the bulk of the pages associated with shared libraries despite there
    being COW'd pages in the middle of that space from the dynamic linking.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>